A full-day tour of Camporgiano to get to know the history, nature and traditions of a little-explored and undiscovered area.
Here is a summary of the most significant places we are going to visit:
- the fortified complex of Bacciano, which is perhaps one of the first castles located on hills near the valley floor and which constitutes the oldest defence system in the valley (today in ruins)
- the Church of San Biagio, a place of worship in Romanesque style (initially named after S. Maria di Rogiana), a small church built, according to popular tradition, at the behest of Countess Matilde di Canossa, a powerful feudal lord and ardent supporter of the papacy in the struggle for the investiture, around the year 1000
- the "Rocca degli Estensi" built in Camporgiano for defensive purposes in the 10th century, enlarged between the 12th and 13th centuries and extensively modified in the 15th century by the Este family, a noble dynasty from Ferrara, as it was designated as the seat for the delegate of the ducal government
There will also be time for a visit to a local winery with a tasting of organic wine and a small sample of typical local products.
Clothing and equipment: Hiking shoes, hiking clothing in layers, rain jacket, poles or walking sticks (optional), day pack, water to drink at least 1.5 L, hat.
- Participants: Minimum 4 people (price per person € 61) - Maximum 15 people
- 24 hours notice required
- The price of the excursion decreases as the number of participants increases and you will be reimbursed for any extra costs incurred
- Duration: Full day - 8 hours
- If you are part of a group of at least 6 people, you can choose the date you prefer.
- Recommended period: May - October