The San Genesio Archeological Area in San Miniato vaunts traces of an ancient Etruscan settlement that in the Middle Ages was an important centre in the Valdarno Inferiore, until 1248, when the site was destroyed by San Miniato’s forces.
Many artefacts document the history of this site, from its earliest role as a necropolis to its use as a place of residence in the 8th century, named vicus Wallari. There are more traces from the later town, burgum Sancti Genesi, including the foundations and the cemetery.
In the area around the archeological site, there is a museum that conserves traces of this settlement, located in a strategic position along an ancient travel route. The museum is also home to materials coming from the Etruscan necropolis of Fonte Vivo, with pieces dating to a time span that ranges from the 4th to 1st century BCE.