The Castiglion Fiorentino Pinacoteca Comunale is located in the restored rooms of the old church of S. Angelo al Cassero, a place of worship established in the Middle Ages, the adjacent sacristy and the nuns’ choir upstairs.
The picture gallery brings together a collection of high-calibre paintings and a selection of medieval and Renaissance hand-crafted gold items.
In terms of the paintings, marvel at the large Cross painted with tempera on wood dating to around 1370-80, the Stigmata of St. Francis by Bartolomeo della Gatta, St. Francis by Margarito d’Arezzo, the luminous Madonna with Child by Taddeo Gaddi, Giotto’s pupil, and works by Giovanni di Paolo and Jacopo del Sellaio.
For the gold items, wonder at the thirteenth-century reliquary Holy Cross, crafted by French goldsmiths with gilded silver filigree, and the reliquary bust of S. Orsola, engraved and chiseled with enamel and precious stones by Rhine craftsman in the fourteenth century. Valuable reliquaries, ostensories with enamel and other top-calibre handmade gold items are also on display.
Impressive views over the Val di Chio can be enjoyed from the Saletta della Torre, on top of what used to be the clock tower.