fb track
Search
close
Photo ©dalem
Palazzo Comunale Pienza
location_city Historical Buildings
Pienza town hall
The Palazzo Comunale (Town Hall) in Pienza is the ancient residence of the Priori and is in Piazza Pio, opposite the cathedral

Palazzo Comunale in Pienza was probably designed by Bernardo Rossellino. It was renovated in 1900. Its distinctive features are its triple arched portico supported by Ionic stone columns and the travertine façade above the portico which has four double lancet windows and a terracotta clock tower with long windows and double ramparts. The inside part of the portico is covered with the stone carved coats of arms of the town’s various mayors over the centuries, as well as those belonging to Pope Pio II Piccolomini who came from the municipality of Pienza.
To the left of the building is an interesting fifteenth century house which faces onto Via Marconi.
Inside the Palazzo Comunale itself, in the Sala del Consiglio (the council chambers), is a fifteenth century Sienese school fresco depicting the Madonna with Child and the Patron Saints of Pienza: San Vito, San Modesto and San Matteo.

Pienza
roomPiazza Pio II
5
star_bordered star_bordered star_bordered star_bordered star_bordered
star star star star star
Via dell'Amore - Pienza Destinations Pienza Learn more arrow_forward
close
Sign up to our newsletter
A treasure trove of secrets, events, curiosities and news, straight to your inbox