fb track
Search
close
Photo ©Davide Papalini
Default
location_city Historical Buildings
Malgrate Castle
The powerful medieval fortress in Villafranca in Lunigiana

Malgrate Castle is situated in Villafranca in Lunigiana and its striking round tower has presided over the valley of the River Bagnone for centuries.

The fort, which controlled the most important communication routes from the Apennines, Cisa and Garfagnana, was built in the 14th century (but it probably has older origins) and the Malaspina marquises’ banner waved on its tower, 25 metres tall and topped with a lookout point, until the 17th century.

As well as serving a defensive function, the castle became a noble residence in 1641, when the central part was turned into a palace including the round tower.

However, the appearance of Malgrate is that of a classic medieval fortress: the main part consists of the keep, located on the short side of the feudal palace in a rectangular shape and surrounded by walls, with Guelph battlements, embankments and a walkway which probably dates back to the 14th century.

Info: lunigiana.com

Villafranca in Lunigiana
roomPiazza Immacolata, 11, 54028 Villafranca in Lunigiana MS, Italy
4.4
star_bordered star_bordered star_bordered star_bordered star_bordered
star star star star star
Villafranca in Lunigiana Destinations Villafranca in Lunigiana Learn more arrow_forward
SOCIAL MEDIA & WEB
Instagram photo
close
Sign up to our newsletter
A treasure trove of secrets, events, curiosities and news, straight to your inbox